Monday, January 4, 2016

Iceworld

A mural was completed this fall on Lawrence Ave in the northwest part of the city and it has to be the longest one I have ever seen so I am going to show sections of it over the next several Mondays. I watched the artists, Shalak Attack, Bruno Smoky, and Fiya Bruxa working on it for many weeks as I drove by. This easterly section shows the very vulnerable iceworld that is so threatened by climate change and the bears themselves seem to be evolving as we move from right to left across the pic. When the mural was completed there were some complaints made to the city about it being scary and a public meeting was held where the overwhelming response was positive so it will remain intact. I'll show the next section next week.
Taking part in Monday Murals. Click HERE to see more murals from around the world.

22 comments:

Karl said...

A very topical theme !

Sharon said...

That is definitely a theme that people need to think about. I look forward to seeing more.

Nefertiti said...

Joli quand on sait que l artique se meurt .

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Pretty awesome looking mural

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Too scary! Honestly Pat you have to wonder what the world is coming to right! This is a super mural and if it brings attention to climate change all the better. Gosh this was quite a project!

Lowell said...

Well, I'm glad they're going to leave it alone. There are a lot of people out there who are scared of just about everything and don't like everything they're not scared of and I say they might as well come down this way as we seem to have lots of their kind.

It certainly is an interesting mural. But it's not scary. Sheesh! Unless, perhaps, if you don't "believe" in global warming. But that's like saying you don't believe in gravity! :)

TexWisGirl said...

i think it's neat.

Revrunner said...

Scary? Really? I think there are some people who need to get out more. :-)

cieldequimper said...

I agree with RR, what's scary here? The only thing that's scary is that there is no snow!

William Kendall said...

Quite eye catching, RedPat!

Gosia said...

suyitable for winter

Lowell said...

Hi Pat, I love your freshly-minted word, "giraffesque"! Perfect!

Laura. M said...

I hope you know rethink, not just see these animals in murals. We must protect.

Taken For Granted said...

What a fine looking mural. This arctic scene is just what it feels like outside now. Hope the authorities pay no attention to those who complain about it. Murals brighten our environments.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm jealous that you actually got to see this being created!

Lois said...

The truth is scary sometimes. It's a beautiful work and I'm glad they allowed it to stay.

21 Wits said...

What a happy mural this is! Nice capture of it too! It's so long.

Tom said...

You need a panoramic lens.

Michelle said...

That is quite a piece of work. I like it!

Linda said...

Not as scary as climate change! I worry about the polar bears.

Andy said...

Looks good to me. Let me know when you post the scary part.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Too scary?! To who? Maybe we all should be apprehensive about climate change. If this is only part of this mural, I can't wait to see the rest. If this is only part of this mural, I can't wait to see the rest.